General Dentistry: Finding a Good General Dentist
Let's face it: nobody enjoys a visit to the dentist. It is one of those things that most people put off as long as they can. On the other hand, a person's smile and dental health are major factors in his or her happiness and self esteem. It is wise, of course, to follow the advice given by those in the profession to get a checkup at least once a year. In the event that attention is needed -- whether it is a gradual problem such as the development of a cavity or gum disease, or an emergency such as having a tooth knocked out -- finding a dentist can be of paramount importance on your "to-do" list.
The good news is nowadays, seeing a dentist no longer has to be a nightmare because by simply calling DentistPhone at (888) 985-5898, you can now be connected to a pre-qualified dentist in your area. In addition to our normal business hours, we have after hours services by appointment as well. Whatever dental practitioner you may need, be it a general dentist or specialist, all you have to do is pick up your phone and call us.
We’ve often heard the terms “general” and “specialist” dentists. General dentists are licensed to practice all areas of Dentistry, and they’re trained to handle a wide variety of dental problems. General dentists come up with custom treatment plans for each patient, with the goal of providing and maintaining the highest degree of oral health possible for that patient. He or she is your first port of call for any issues relating to your teeth, as they are responsible for the management and treatment of everyday dental problems.
A lot of family dentists are in fact general dentists themselves who choose to treat a wide variety of dental conditions rather than focus on a specific branch of dentistry. These include routine prophylaxis, restorative treatments like crowns and fillings, prosthetics like dentures, root canal and gum therapy, and tooth extraction, among others. For treatment of more advanced cases which they are not trained or authorized to handle, general dentists may refer patients to specialists.
Although some conditions may fall outside their scope, you can rely on your general dentist or family dentist to look after your basic dental needs. General dentists are well qualified to carry out basic minor and major procedures. You can easily find dentists by searching online, but it is also important to do some background check on a certain practitioner. Here are a few things to consider when looking for a dental practitioner:
- After finding a general dentist online, it is also important to do some background check. Find out how long a specific dental practitioner has been doing his job and whether he or she is a member of a professional dental society. This ensures that the dentist you’re considering is duly recognized by a governing body and has undertaken update training on the newest dental procedures, techniques, and equipment.
- Consider the overall reliability of your dentist. Verify if your dentist offer emergency dental services, even on holidays, weekends, and after-office hours, and also check if their practice is well designed, hygienic, and fully equipped.
- If your problem is severe enough that the pain keeps you from sleeping, and if over-the-counter pain medicine is not helping, it may be time to call an emergency clinic or make an emergency appointment. Most general dentistry offices have an emergency service which is accessible after normal business hours, or they can refer you to one. These services usually entail an extra charge.
- For lesser problems, or for a regular check up, you can take more time to investigate your options. If you have friends and/or family in the area, asking for referrals from them would be a good place to start. They can tell you about their experience and perhaps recommend a general dentist to you.
- Searching on the internet or looking in the yellow pages for general dentists in your area will yield an array of choices. Dentists usually list their credentials and their strong points in their ads, which will aid in selection. Location, availability, and whether or not the office accepts your insurance will all be considerations in deciding which candidates to consider. Call and ask questions in order to make an informed choice.
Finally and most importantly, check whether the rates they charge are reasonably affordable. Some dentists, especially more experienced ones, charge extra. High-end facilities and location also make a difference.
At DentistPhone, we are fortunate to have both general dentists and specialists in private practice who are available and just a phone call away if you need them. Just pick up the phone and contact us today at (888) 985-5898 so we can start working to your oral health success. You will be happy that you did.